Thursday, October 2, 2014

Winter Tires: Are They Worth The Money?

Every year when the leaves start to change color, the same question runs through my mind. Do I need to buy new winter tires? The status of my bank account has the biggest impact on my decision, and I usually tend to stick with my Michelin Primacy MXV4 all season tires that I drive on year round. This winter my money situation is no better than usual, but a longer daily commute to work will force me to spend more time on the road, leaving more room for run-ins with nasty winter weather.

The way I see it, it will cost me more money to get towed out of a snowbank and even more aggravation when I'm sliding backwards down a hill (possibly into another car),  than it will to buy a new set of winter tires. Enough is enough, I'm prepared to pay for the peace of mind and enhanced winter driving performance that I deserve!

By downgrading my morning coffee from large to small and saving part of my evening meal for breakfast the next morning, I was able to put enough money aside for a cheap yet dependable set of Firestone Winterforce tires. This might seem a bit drastic, but you will only see the true advantages of winter tires when you see them in action.

Are you that person who thinks that by simply driving a 4 wheel drive vehicle, you can make it through anything? Watch the video below to see the difference between a rear wheel drive BMW M3 with winter tires (Michelin Pilot Alpin 4 UHP) and a four wheel drive Subaru Forester 2.5 XTPPP with summer tires (Bridgestone Potenza RE070 UHP).



The footage speaks for itself. Nobody wants to be that driver who slowly slides backwards down the hill into traffic, as other drivers beep incessantly. If you don't want to pay for winter tires because you don't really care about tires, consider the personal hassle that you'll be spared. Consider how much damage you could avoid doing if that was your car rolling down the hill.

Make the smart choice and buy winter tires right now, before the first snowflake even hits the ground. You can find cheap winter tires when you shop with Town Fair Tire online. The Uniroyal Tiger Paw Ice & Snow II and General Altimax Arctic are both great winter tires that won't even cost you your large cup of coffee in the morning.



2 comments:

Unknown said...

Winter tires are very important. It is almost impossible to get around in the snow without snow tires. I need some for this season.
http://www.metrotyreservices.com.au/index.php/tyres-services/tyres

Unknown said...

I am starting to ramp up for winter. I am probably starting my look for winter tire deals a bit late in the year. Would a name brand auto care place have better deals than a small town garage?

http://www.tyrepowermiami.com.au/services